Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Together

This Christmas we had a delightful time enjoying ourselves as a family. Here we are at our pastor's beautiful home for a party in honor of a church friend who is a missionary. Baby had used up all her smiles for the day as it was 10pm.

On Christmas day the three of us had a lovely and quiet day together. We greatly cherished being together (especially because it appears next year we will be separated). Here baby and daddy are smiling for the yearly picture before the meal.
Last Christmas baby was only one month old and sleepy.

Mommy and baby before leaving for the Christmas communion service.
Same pose last year
Rather than putting most of our focus, time, energy, and money into shopping, wrapping and exchanging presents for Christmas, we prefer to pull our resources in order to make the most of being together as a family, going on fun outings, and making memories. My husband wants to be flexible on this point and thinks that maybe we should do presents when our children are older. I am delighted with how we celebrate now and enjoy using our Christmas money for family enjoyment rather than individual gifts. With my family (and friends too), I love to deck the halls, ice skate, see shows, listen to the Messiah, make gingerbread houses, bake desserts, decorate cookies, cook favorite foods, watch movies (LOTR Trilogy is our tradition), play games, take pictures and smile a lot. The best presents in life never come wrapped in little boxes tied with ribbon. (As it is I love giving birthday gifts and "just because I love you" gifts throughout the year to my hubby, babe, family and friends.)

Our families were able to come visit a few days after Christmas. We had a wonderful time with them, and I had a particularly delightful evening with my little sis-in-law making this house.

Our favorite part was the roof we made by melting lifesaver candies.
Mama and baby at our friend's house to decorate her beautiful cookies. This picture made me laugh because my hair looks like it belongs to baby. Do you see we both have the same red highlights?
Here are the fondant covered sugar cookies I decorated. It was such a wonderful time being together with my friends (whose cookies looked amazing) and my little girl.

8 comments:

  1. love the comparison pics this year to last! did you notice you wore the same colors last year? neat. love m's dress! cookies look tasty as well as pretty. you have to fill me in on why you will not be together next year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw thanks for posting this! What a wonderful Christmas! I can't wait to someday celebrate Christmas with my own little family. You're giving me ideas :)

    love, AC

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. you look so pretty in these pictures!

    -AC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures L. M looks so nice in red--is that your favorite color to dress M in? -JL

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's fun comparing last year's pics and this year's. i love that picture you have with her and the gingerbread house- it looks like she's having a blast playing with it! - DL

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite picture is M with the gingerbreadhouse - and I said that before I saw D's comment : )

    JR

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the "comparison" pictures. I'm glad you took a picture of her with the house--too cute. You must do that every year--what a neat memory for the both of you. MM

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you!! I really love that you all are reading these posts and able to keep up with what we are doing.

    MJ, we noticed the alternating colors after I posted the pictures. We were laughing about it, and I am hoping to keep up the tradition next year even if I will have to be a stand in for my husband. I have a red dress and she already has a white one for next year. So we are all set :)


    It is looking like hubby will be most likely be deployed in November (if not sooner). Although even the thought of it takes my breath away, we are so thankful that we were together through my whole pregnancy, the birth, and at least her first year of life. I have several friends who were not able to do the same.


    JL- I love to wear red personally and see baby girl in it. Red is my second favorite color to dress her in after white.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Friends and Family,
Thank you for stopping by and keeping updated with our lives. I feel blessed to be able to share with you although we are so very far away. If you would like to comment, just click on anonymous and leave a note~ LR