Wednesday, October 29, 2008

About Baby

Our first Christmas together 2006


The tree in our hotel lobby

I love the simply way it is decorated
We actually went to the movies on Christmas day. Muvico is the best. Notice the shorts? That's Florida for you.


Next month we will be celebrating our 2nd anniversary, and it has only been since March of this year that we have been living in our own place. I was really looking forward to decorating our house for the holidays this year and building our own family traditions. We were married the day after Thanksgiving 06, he was deployed Thanksgiving 07, and Thanksgiving 08 I will be eight months pregnant. Yes, it would be possible to go all out for Thanksgiving for the two of us. But that really does not sound enjoyable or sensible to this very pregnant one. Going back home to be with family would be an option but just not a wise one being so close to my due date. So, instead of starting our own tradition or going back home to the traditions of our families (who are by the way spending Thanksgiving together without us) we are doing something completely different but really great. We will be spending it with our church family.

Our first Christmas together 06 was spent all by ourselves in sunny Florida honeymooning. It was absolutely great but certainly did not feel like Christmas. We actually went to the movies that day and ordered room service. Our second Christmas 07 was spent completely apart on opposite sides of the world as he was deployed. I was really looking forward to finally starting our own traditions, decking the halls, listening to the best of Christmas music, and actually taking an overly cute picture this year to send to family. And then along came baby... She is due the 10th of December, yet she could easily be late a week or more. Do I really have the energy to decorate? and do I really want to spend the money on that when she is coming? My imagery of the day has turned from a made up woman in a red dress with curled hair dishing out pieces of pie to a brand new mother recovering a week after delivery just wishing for the five minutes and the strength to take a shower.

All of this uncertainty has drawn me back to the reason for the season- a BABY! Christmas is truly about God humbling Himself to be made into a helpless baby to save His people from their sins. and This Christmas as I take care of my own baby- I will not be able to forget why we celebrate this holiday and how amazing it is that God would choose to become such a helpless, messy and fragile being.

This Christmas might not have the sounds, sights, and smells of a traditional Christmas, but what better tradition could there be than having a new baby just in time for Christmas?!

5 comments:

  1. that was a really beautiful post. i can't agree with you more about everything! its really good that you have realistic expectations about what you will be able to do this holiday season, so that you don't become overwhemlmed. i lacked that when i was preggers and ended up being super stressed. i remember taking down christmas decorations last year when i was newly pregnant and crying bc i was so tired! did i ever tell you that i actually planned to go to KOP with chris' mom the night i went into labor? lol! that would have been one crazy, long and dangerous ride to the hospital. thats me...i don't know my limitations.
    by the way...anna has been counting down till your baby arrives, she told me it will be two more months! lol. she also told me you love butterfingers. haha, she's so random. we were talking about halloween and she mentioned it. she is an L expert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what up woman?? the Christmas pics threw me off a little-- I was like, wait it hasn't happened yet! and then I saw the pics were from 2006. it's funny-- you've never had a traditional Christmas for as long as I can remember. so it somehow doesn't surprise me that this one won't be traditional as well, you know? At any rate, it is interesting that this first baby experience coincides with Christmas, which will make the Reason for the season that much more immediate, I think.
    --DH

    ReplyDelete
  3. i hope you do end up going all out with the christmas decor (as much as you are up to it) because keep in mind that next year your little bundle of joy will be able to pull the christmas tree down on top of it head and other such wonderful things -JR

    ReplyDelete
  4. D- Sorry about the posting mixups. Now isn't it really easy to do?? Thanks so much for reading and show it to your mom also. I would love to hear from her on this too. It really is not too surprising about a normal level of Christmas abnormality for me. But that is the thing that is so ironic- this was the year to make up and start afresh from those other years. Up until the death of my grandfather, my Christmases were so very normal. Then next year I even doubt N will be home. haha. So excited about baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. J- Thanks for reading!! and commenting too!! So true. and I doubt N will even be home. So if I do not get a pic of us by a tree this year it might be several years before it ever does happen.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Friends and Family,
Thank you for stopping by and keeping updated with our lives. I feel blessed to be able to share with you although we are so very far away. If you would like to comment, just click on anonymous and leave a note~ LR