Monday, March 12, 2012

Lions and Tigers and Bears! Oh My!

After our visit with grandma in December, we made our way to the zoo. In lieu of buying Christmas presents, we prefer to spend our resources to go on small family vacations and make memories together. Bright sunny San Diego is what comes to mind when thinking of the state of CA and not the cold northern part that we now call home.
It was a special joy to take my husband and children to a place I loved as a child. I lived in San Diego from seven to nine years old while my father was stationed here with the Navy. My clearest memories (or picture snapshots) of the zoo were the flamingos and the bronze gorilla. We found the flamingos as soon as we entered and then spent the rest of the day hunting for that shiny climbable gorilla.
The day was enjoyed all the more because the four of us entered for free! My friend was able to generously give us two free admission tickets, E was under three, and N got in through their active duty military promotion. We could actually afford lunch at the park and a few little treats.
Baby E wants to see the kangaroos.
It was a perfectly beautiful day!
Dear Mom, I am sorry that you do not get the joy of seeing your grand daughter's dressed in every color of the rainbow at the same time in patterns of hearts, stripes, and florals :) Why go bright when you can go white?  hehe. Or classic plaid?
I LOVE going on these skyrides. Now, it wasn't a horse drawn hay ride, but it was wonderful ;)
We were strollerless at the zoo! It is always a gamble to stroller or not to stroller in a new place. I wasn't sure how it would be, but in the end it was the best decision because of the stairs, hills, and crowds. Plus, all of us minus baby got a great workout.
Seeing this picture reminds me how delighted I am to be able to smile again after my bout with Bell's. Many times in my head I have thought up a post about my Bell's experience, and I hope to write it down for real one of these days and share with you all that I went through and felt.
Look at those eyelashes

This was as close as we got to the amazing Balboa Park. I had hoped we would be able to explore around, but the zoo is all we could handle for one day.


Downtown San Diego and a beautiful bridge


Sleepy polar bears
The zoo boasted a several waterfalls throughout the park.
A tiger cub lapping up some water! One of my favorite animals
Brother cub
Mama tiger watched her cubs like a hawk.

While we were exiting the large exhibit, the tiger cubs rounded the corner of the smaller viewing area and we got more close up views of their beauty.

Even baby enjoyed the sights.
A silly hair day
Smiles for lunch

 
 Being bjorned is tiring
I didn't realize till after I uploaded this picture that the hippo was sculpted from sand.


We found the bronze gorilla!

Three monkeys on the gorilla. See the real one in the background!

M and her little piece of the zoo

6 comments:

  1. So pretty! What a nice zoo! Alot different from philly it looks clean. That was cool that you got to take them where you went, when you were young.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the last photo of N and M, such a loving papa!

    xo, Bex

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the bronze gorilla! I like the picture of the map--I remember the layout of the zoo as well. You seemed to have a nice time. I am so glad you went. It is the zoo of all zoos. I still remember walking and walking and walking oh but how we all loved it! Great pics of tigers--magnificent animal. Was M afraid of the skyline ride?
    MM

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful to take them to the San Diego Zoo! I really want to take G to a zoo soon. Your photos are great and the girls and beautiful.

    p.s. You comment to your mother about girls' clothing cracked me up. I really think I'm having a baby girl this time and have been browsing some baby clothes and am finding myself somewhat horrified at how gaudy many of the outfits are! Oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun!!! Zoos are one of my favorite places to go; I've been itching to take Benaiah to one, but have a hard time with the insane adult prices on tickets... So glad ya'll were able to get such a good deal.

    Love M.'s curls! Love E.'s pleasant, inquisitive nature! And love your smile! What an answer to prayer =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The girls look like they had such a great time!! Great pictures Laura!!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Friends and Family,
Thank you for stopping by and keeping updated with our lives. I feel blessed to be able to share with you although we are so very far away. If you would like to comment, just click on anonymous and leave a note~ LR