Wednesday, January 18, 2012

What I was Given this Christmas

brought tears to my eyes. It was not wrapped with bows and tucked under our tree with my name on a tag, yet it was wrapped with joy and the memory is now tucked dearly in my heart. I had the pleasure of seeing Grandma meet her great grand babies for the first time on Christmas Sunday morning during service at her own church. She had mentioned repeatedly how much it meant to have us worshiping with her at her church.
She lives six hours ( or so Google says) away from us in California. We drove halfway down Saturday night and stayed at an Air Force Base so that we would be able to wake up, drive a few hours and worship with her and God's people Sunday morning.
M is such an affectionate little one. We told her this was another grandma, and she was thrilled to be with her. When we had left for the day, M said, "She is a new Grandma Ajji." It made me smile that she was thinking of her other great grandmother that she had been able to visit with while we crossed the country.
After church supper, we drove a few minutes to Signal Hill. The view was a treat for Grandma just as much as it was for us because although she lived a few minutes away she had never been there.
It was an exceptionally clear view for the Los Angles area.
Being a few hours south of home, we noticed and enjoyed seeing many more palm trees.
Beautiful! This was no white Christmas, but it was gorgeous!
Monday afternoon Grandma suggested we check out one of her favorite diners in town.
Another tree ~ another picture
After lunch, we enjoyed a stroll on the beach of Long Beach.


There are a sparse number of sights that are more wonderful in my eyes than seeing my husband bjorning our daughter.
On the beach was a wide sidewalk. It was a pleasure to walk on solid ground and be sand free while enjoying the sights, sound, and smell of the ocean. 

The oil rigs are designed to look like highrises.
This is the only Lone Sailor Memorial to be placed overlooking the ocean. This spot meant a lot to Grandma~ and there she was with her very own sailor.
 
We had a wonderful time with her, and I am pretty sure she loved being with us. We brought her little gifts and trinkets, yet our main gift was framing pictures of all six her great grand babies up on the wall. I usually take forever to get pictures printed, framed, and on our walls, yet I picked up my pace  for grandma as I was able to put pictures on her walls which we took that same day.  Presently, I walk the earth in a body that is twenty-five and a face that thinks it is sixteen again, but I often feel that I have a mind of an eighty year old. I know that in a heartbeat of life I will be that woman wishing and hoping to see my family's families. I can imagine the joy of meeting my M's grand babies for the first time. And seeing that joy first hand this Christmas morning was a tearful joyful experience.

5 comments:

  1. Wow!!! This is so special!!! M. is turning into quite the little lady. Her expressions are so adult-like yet joyful at the same time. And E. always seems to have a smile on her face =)

    I loved this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can tell by all the smiles on Grandma's face that she indeed loved being with you! What a special memory

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful granddaughter-in-law you make! How wonderful you all could be together for Christmas. I want to mention, and I am not making this up, that I always felt bad for Grandma S. living so far from her grandkids (your husband included)! I'm not joking. Knowing your family(families?), I know how much this must have meant to all of you.
    These are the things that seem hard (travel, expense, time), but you never regret. Way to go for making Christmas so special, L!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sweet! This is one of the reasons I find it so sad more and more young people, Christians even, are putting off marriage and family for personal gain. How sad that not only their parents will be delayed the joys of grandchilden, but the great grandparents alos may not even get to enjoy their great-littles! I am so blessed that we can share our babies with J's grandparents, and with my grandparents (who are still VERY YOUNG and active!). Spending Christmas morning at my grandparents house like i did as a child, but now with my kids was better than any gift under the tree!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it looks like you had a great time :) the pictures are beautiful. i esp. like the one with M snuggling up to grandma at the diner-they both look so delighted! i miss you all! love, DR

    ReplyDelete

Dear Friends and Family,
Thank you for stopping by and keeping updated with our lives. I feel blessed to be able to share with you although we are so very far away. If you would like to comment, just click on anonymous and leave a note~ LR