Friday, October 16, 2009

Our First Day in New Orleans

As we were staying an hour and a half from New Orleans during our month in Mississippi, it made the perfect day trip during the weekends. We loved it so we went all three weekends. There was so much to see, and I would have been lost without you, A. Thanks for all your help :) We had a great time enjoying your city.

Here N and M are outside of Mother's Restaurant.



While waiting in line, baby's face was too funny. We enjoyed a po' boy and jambalaya. I really liked the po' boy and was glad that the jambalaya wasn't too spicy for me.
When we arrived, there was no line. Look what happened 20 mins later!

Then we were on to the Garden District. It is a LOVELY section of town that boasts beautiful homes. Architecture is my favorite form of art, and my eyes were delighted feasting on these wondrous pieces of art.
I was hoping to walk around, yet it was just a little too rainy to make it work.
Here are my two loves overlooking the Mississippi river in the French Quarter. I just loved the Quarter so much we went back there for the next two weekends.

Cafe Du Monde was the BEST! Their beignets (similar to a funnel cake or fresh doughnut) are covered in powdered sugar and possibly the most delicious food in the world.

Here we are before eating them. How brave I was to wear black :)

The amount of powdered sugar was enough to frighten small children :)
Yummy!

The Saint Louis Cathedral in Jackson Square was so pretty.


Here we are in the square. While we were taking pictures, we saw a bridal couple taking pictures after their ceremony in the cathedral. What an amazing place for a wedding!
N and M in front of a statue of Andrew Jackson.

Royal Street was my favorite street because the antiquing was the best I have ever seen. Here is a home on the street that looks just amazing. It is so beautiful!


Here we are in front of the Mississippi river. Wow, it was a great day, and I couldn't get enough. So we came back as much as we could.

8 comments:

  1. i was going to ask if you got beignets at cafe du monde! we went there some years back and had them. they are amazing! love your back shirt. looks like you enjoyed your time there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MJ, that is really neat that you also have been. I don't think you mentioned it before. Did you have a nice time and what part did you like the best?

    ReplyDelete
  3. we went there some years back (maybe 8?) for my parent's wedding anniversary. they went to new orleans for their honeymoon and wanted to go there again.
    my parents were very disappointed with how much it had changed. the night life there was terrible: drinking, drugs, etc and very open immorality. they wanted to leave, but we ended up staying and just going during the morning/early afternoon hours to walk around and going further out to visit the plantations (which were amazing and beautiful) instead. i wonder if it has changed since hurricane katrina? that exposed the lifestyle of many of the people there and hopefully things have changed. what did you think?
    did you venture further out to any of the plantations? have you ever seen the famous Oak Alley? i find that all so fascinating, particularly on the tours where they talk about the lifestyle. one thing i remember about the homes was that the doorways were so low bc people were a lot shorter than (due to poor nutrition). the extreme wealth in comparison to the poverty of the slaves who lived there was also eye opening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We never did get to visit the plantations. I would have loved to, but it just never did work out. I really eat that kind of stuff up.

    About the nightlife/ immorality, we only went during the day and stayed off certain streets. I am no expert in any sense, but from what we saw and heard even in the day time lead us to believe we just would not enjoy visiting during the evening. I tried to ignore anything party related and embrace the food, music, antiques, and architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for posting these- it makes me even more desperate to get back to NO for a visit! I'm so glad you liked Royal St- it was a great street to live on, but it made me drool w/envy all the time, just looking in the windows of the antique stores!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes i agree, so much great culture (i hope my last comment didn't come off as if i didn't appreciate the city or anything). it is hard getting out to the plantations, they are trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw I love your new fall layout :) and WOW it looks like you and the family had such lovely weekends while away in Mississippi this summer! The pictures of the houses are SO pretty! I wouldn't mind living in that first white one! LOL I had so much fun when I visited my brother and his wife A in New Orleans! They are really great at pointing to all the best places to go! L you've gotten to do a lot of traveling in the past few years! Who says it's all over after you marry and have babies! Especially if your man's in the service!
    luv, AC

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alissa, those antique stores were more beautiful than most museums I have visited. They were such a treat to me. Did you end up buying anything while you were there? Next batch of pictures, I'll show you what we got for the baby.

    MJ, I know what you meant, and now I am wishing even more we made it to a plantation. Well, I guess we will just have to go back!


    AC, we had a really great time and greatly due to all the info A shared with me. I have tried to do my best to be a flexible wife and go where ever I am able to follow him. When I went with him to Rhode Island, I was able to stay for free, but this time we had to pay for a month's worth of lodging. Although it was not easy saying goodbye to that money, I am glad that baby and I were able to be with him and make it a memorable family vacation.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Friends and Family,
Thank you for stopping by and keeping updated with our lives. I feel blessed to be able to share with you although we are so very far away. If you would like to comment, just click on anonymous and leave a note~ LR