Husband picked out this wreath, and we have been enjoying its wintery evergreen smell greatly. It is on its way out, yet I am just not yet ready to say good bye to the sweet greeting it gives me when we come home.
N sang in our new church's Christmas choir evening. I was really pleased that he decided to do this, and it made me feel like an old members of this congregation even though we are still in the process of officially joining.
Little E enjoying a new food
Little Miss Red Bow
Our vacation ornament from New Orleans in 2009.
Back in VA, I was surrounded by several Dillard's stores. (They are a department store a little more upscale than a Macy's.) And every New Year's Day they had a great one day sale. It was my annual tradition to head out early and hit the three stores near me to pick up some beautiful Christmas and house decor at 75% off. This was one of my first finds the first year I went, and baby E got a matching one two years later. I missed the tradition this year as we don't have any Dillard's around, but I was comforted by the simple fact that New Year's Day fell on a Sunday this year. Even if I was back home in VA, I would not have gone out shopping on the Sabbath day anyway.
When baby M was on her way, I asked my friend Angela if she would be willing to give me an ornament as my baby shower present.
At our new church one of our church elders makes wooden toys, puzzles, and carvings. He is very generous with all the kids of the church and gives out new figurine toys every week. We visited his work shop to see him in action and get a tour. How much fun for this mama who loves wooden toys!
We were graciously given these items plus a few more.
December also marked saying good bye to dear friends we had just met only months ago. They invited us over to their home the first day we came to church, and we were delighted to learn that they went to our church in VA a few years ago! It was such a joy to be able to talk of people we knew in common! The girls got especially attached to her in the few months we were together, and she was so helpful assisting me with them during our full Sundays at church. Thank you, M! It was wonderful getting to know you!

Your ornaments are so unique. I love them! We decided from here on out no more balls, just trinket ornaments we have collected for us and the kids. We pick up one for each child every year at hallmark and one for each at the beach. We also select a theme each year. This year we did Phillies from the beach :) Okay dirty to bother you with that whole complex process! Haha! Guess what I'm trying to get out is that I enjoy hearing stories behind ornaments rather than "I got these at Target."
ReplyDeleteI really liked the ornaments and wooden toys; they looked classy and elegant--just like you. I am glad that you have adapted nicely to your new church environment. I am looking forward to seeing you all soon.
ReplyDelete-JL
Yes, soon your kids will be making so many ornaments you won't have to buy any! At least that's what we found in our fam. (Or you'll just have to have more kids to fill up that tree.) :) I especially love the fleur de lis one for New Orleans. Very pretty!
DeleteGood for you for letting her decorate it her way!!
We also have tradition of getting a tree ornament where we vacation. It started with our honeymoon when we bought one in St. Lucia. We don't have many yet but then this was only our 2nd Christmas. We are also going to continue a tradition from R's family were the mom picks out an ornament for each kid every Christmas that symbolizes something they did that year or liked. Looove your wreath! the lady i work for had one that also smelled delish and i was sad when she took it down so soon! M did a great job decorating the gram house! :) It's important to let kids grow their creativity i think. -AB
ReplyDelete